Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Just Kids

I'm currently reading "Just Kids" by Patti Smith.
For those of you unfamiliar with Miss Smith, she is a jack-of-all-trades in terms of the arts.
She did visual arts (drawing, painting, etc.), she wrote, and she played music.

This particular book is a memoir about her life, especially pertaining to the parts spent with Robert Mapplethorpe.

If you don't know about Robert Mapplethorpe, he was a (mostly) photographer who depicted (mostly) really obscene, explicit, sexual stuff. In opinion, really awesome art.

Anyway, the book is very interesting. It makes me realize even more that I was meant for a different generation. There are a lot of moral and emotional parallels between Patti Smith and myself.

I've been taking forever to read it though, because of school and work and all that other good shit that gets in the way of really enjoying life.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading and experiencing the rest of her story.

Everyone should try to read more nonfiction. A good nonfiction book is sometimes even better than reading a fictional story.

I'll probably blog more about the book later, I'm only a little more than halfway through it, despite my efforts to read when I have time. I'm a fast reader, too!

...Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment